History of the Park

In 1901 the 125 acres of Peabody Park was established with a gift of $5000 from George Foster Peabody (1852-1938) in honor of his relative George Peabody (1795-1869), a famous philanthropist who helped reconstruct southern schools and colleges after the Civil War. Mr. G.F. Peabody was born in Columbus, GA and was one of the countries most prominant financiers and philanthropists. He supported a variety of educational and political causes and in the late 1800’s served on the Southern Education Board along with our first university president Charles Duncan McIver (1860-1906). He helped support Mr. McIver in the effort to establish the women’s college that became UNCG.

Aerial photo from the 1920’s looking north. You can see the Foust Building in the forground, and College avenue running down the center of campus.

Peabody Park was established as an educational park that would enrich the acedemic life of the University. President McIver’s original plan was to place a series of stone markers about the educational history if North Carolina in the park, but his early death prevented this plan from being carried out. There are few memorial markers in the park. The oldest one, near the path that runs under the music building bridge, is from the very first bachelor class of 1903.

marker

This stone marker honors the first bachelor class.

History of The Park in University Life

The students enjoyed the natural area form the very beginning of its establishment. Daily health walks were a requirement of all students in the early years of the park.

From 1904-1954 there were elaborate May Day festivals held in the park complete with the crowning of a May Queen. During the 1920s and 30s an annual Park Night honored students who best exeplified the institution’s ideals of scolarship and service. In 1941 one of the branches of Buffalo Creek was dammed to form a small lake, and an outdoor ampitheater was consructed on the lake’s shore where concerts and pagents were held. The lake was drained in 1954 and replaced with the current golf course.

Aerial photo of campus in the 1940’s. Note the lake in the upper left corner

From 2003-2005, a renovation of the eastern side of the park was undertaken. Roads were moved, bridges and new walkways were built to help preserve some of the natural spaces. There is an ongoing effort to remove invasive plants like english ivy by the UNCG Biology Department. The park is used by multiple departments for educational purposes. Recreation is also an active past time in the park, and on any given day you could see golfers, frisbee players, walkers, runners, and sunbathers.